I am sort of split two ways on the passing of the new bill. Senate Bill 1070 has uprised some racial tension between the U.S. government and hispanic Americans. The law requires officers,"when praticable", to detain anyone reasonably suspected of being an illegal. It also makes it a misdameanor to be caught without your papers. I can see why there is an uproar about racial profiling. I don't think racial profiling is right, but it is something thats unavoidable. Profiling in general is a big problem in our society. You dont have to be a person of color to be profiled. I know for a fact that a person of any race can be profiled. I have been pulled over and or stopped by cops just for looking different. People are going to be profiled no matter what, but in this case it is hispanics under the scope because of the situation with bill.
Besides the immigration issue, the bill is believed to help stop trafficking of drugs, weapons, and people in and out of America. The people of America as well as Mexico need to be protected.
This law can help protect citizens on both sides of the border.Weapons are smuggled into Mexico daily and sold to violent drug cartels. the Mexican government supports the bill hoping it will stop these cartels. On our own turf people are taken from America and sold as slaves for labor or sex. Pheonix, Arizona is the kidnapping capitol of America. I'm not saying Mexicans are responsible for all the missing people, but the Arizona-Mexican border may be a key access point to flee America for slave traders. I would definently have to think this one over before I would cast a vote.
Archibold, Ronald C. "America Enacts Stringent Law on Immigration" The New York Times, 23 April 2010. Web. 12 July 2010
Synema, Kyrsten. "SB 1070 Failing to Solve States Real Problems" The Arizona Republic, 8 June 2010. web. 12 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment